Daily Phonics Lessons
At St Mary's we teach our children phonics using the Read Write Inc (RWI) lessons. To enable children to continue their phonics journey at home the creators of RWI are going to be offering online daily lessons. They will add a new film every day, Monday to Friday.
Each film will then be available for 24 hours via FB and on YouTube.
Speed Sounds Set 1 – 9.30 am
Speed Sounds Set 2 – 10.00 am
You can find out more about Read Write Inc on the website: https://www.ruthmiskin.com/en/find-out-more/parents/
You can also access free online reading books using the link below:
Here you will find a range of phonics resources for you to support your child with additional phonics and writing practice.
Read Write Inc letter formation
Learning to write
Phonics tricky challenge
Please record your phonics challenges in your home learning books. Alternatively, you can ask your grown-up to take photographs or a short video of you completing your challenges and upload them to Tapestry.
Roll the dice- write the letter- make a CVC word- read it out loud- Is it real or silly?
How many words can you make?
Cut out a section from a magazine and stick it into your home learning book.
Highlight the tricky words:
I the said of my to no put
Phonics noughts and crosses:
Draw a noughts and crosses grid and write a letter sound (include digraphs and trigraphs) or tricky word in each part of the grid. Take it in turns to the sound/tricky word. If you say it correctly you can add your nought or cross in that square.
- Draw a picture of the people and animals who live in your house.
- Using your phonics knowledge label your picture with the names of each person/pet.
- Complete the sentence ‘ I live with …’
Fill an empty washing up bottle with water. Use the water as your pencil to practice writing your name. Can you write your surname too?
- Gather a selection of objects that make a noise from around the house.
- One person covers their eyes whilst the other makes a sound with one of the objects collected.
- Can they guess what the object is without looking?
- Swap roles.
- How many did you guess correctly?
Game 1. Say the initial sounds in the word e.g. “I spy with my little eye something beginning with a”.
Game 2. Oral blending e.g. “I spy with my little eye a t-r-ee”
Shopping list: Write a shopping list to help plan for the weekly shop.
Tricky word game:
- Make some game cards by cutting up a piece of plain paper.
- Write each of the tricky words below onto each piece of paper. Ensure that you have two of each word.
- Turn all of the cards over so you cannot see the words.
- Take it in turns to turn over two cards.
- Read the words on the cards. If the words match keep them.
- Keep taking turns until all cards have been matched.
I the said of my to no put
Make a card or draw a picture for a friend you miss. Can you use your phonics knowledge to write a message for the person they would like to give it to?
Post the pictures onto Dojo and you can share your messages with your friends.